Friday, May 2, 2008

Update

Just a few short hours after I got out of the hospital on Thursday, April 17th, my dad arrived in Guatemala for 4 days. It was all part of God’s perfect plan, and I was able to have some great comfort and love of home.

Being sick I had missed four days of language school. Fortunately our Bethel professors had mercy on us and we were able to omit all of the work we had missed. I came back to school the following Monday, ready to finish the last week of language school (and my last week of Spanish class forever).

A little bit more about my second language school session:
During this session I completed 4 compositions, a corrido, and a reader’s theater. Composition 1 was about God’s calling in my life. Composition 2 was about “the dolls of my life” (it was an object composition). Our 3rd was the corrido, which was a group project (look up corrido music and you’ll realize how ridiculous this was). Our 4th was about a social faux paux – I did bodily functions… Our 5th was omitted due to our illness. Our 6th was a satire about something that bothers us – I chose tourists. Our final project was the compilation of 3 of our earlier compositions as a reader’s theater piece. We assembled, wrote, and performed this work that we entitled “Family, Bubble Monsters, and the Teenage Robot.” It was stretching in many ways, but full of fun and laughter and definitely worth it in the end (especially when we received 100%). I am officially finished with Spanish classes. I just have a few classes on how to TEACH Spanish, and may end up teaching it in the future, but no more Spanish!

We have experienced several earthquakes in the past month – one rather small and short (4.8), but another large and long one (6.7). I’m not a fan. (My heart skips and I brace myself any time there is a sound remotely similar to that of an earthquake.)

Originally we were going to move back to Magdalena on April 27th, but this has been put off until May 11th, due to continuing health concerns. Although we really want to be back with our other host families, it is a blessing to not have to stress of packing up and moving while we’re concentrating on getting healthy once again.

Beginning this week we restarted ministry sites, and will work at our sites until May 16th. It’s going to be a very tiring time, but full of blessings. I can already feel the relationships becoming stronger as we spend more and more time with the people at our sites. The children and parents at El Gorrion are becoming more and more comfortable with our presence, and have been expressing this more each day. It’s a blast!

A few prayer/praise requests:
-Health of the team – my roommate Abbey specifically. It’s been a struggle.
-Transitioning into Magdalena, then again to SEMILLA for debriefing and final presentations, then finally back to the US.
-Strength/Patience for folks back home, who are anxious for our return.
-I have yet to find a summer job, which is a little intimidating knowing that I have NO money.
-I got the student manager position in Bethel’s food services! I am so, so excited to step into this leadership role.

I cannot wait to be home in just 19 days!

Until then, please keep the new coming! I still want it!

No comments: